So yesterday was the final lining check on day 34. I actually managed to reduce my lining to 5.4 and built up some fluid in my lining. Also my fibroid had started to grow. Not entirely a great cycle.
I have a few theories why my lining failed in the last week. And mostly it is all my fault. First, I was not able to get refills of my slidenafil Rx in time. Dr. Go only prescribed 21 days worth originally, and after my check on day 21 when I got my new Rx, the pharmacist needed at least 2 days to make a new batch. Second, It happened to be a Friday just before a long weekend and a camping trip that took me out of town. So that meant I had to miss a day and a half of taking sildenafil. Not ideal.
Also this cycle I opted not to do acupuncture. Just to see what a purely drug induced cycle would achieve. (And also because I had maxed out my benefits and I would rather save my money for the real deal).
So perhaps if I take all the drugs correctly, and couple that with acupuncture. Maybe, just maybe, we can get a bit past a lining of 6? Is that too much to hope for?
Dr.Go says he typically likes to see a lining of 8. But has gone as low as 7 or 6 in the past and seen some success. But it’s not ideal. He said we can try a few cycles when the time comes and if we can’t get much higher, we can look at surrogacy as an option. However, at this moment that is where I am going to draw the line. Personally I feel that if I am not carrying a baby myself then there is no point in someone else doing it for me. We may as well adopt.
So that’s where we left that.
For this apt with Dr. Go I also brought along my sister and her husband to talk about the whole egg donation process.
It went well. Mostly information gathering and figuring out if this whole process will work with their family planning. She is planning on breast feeding for the next 5-10 months, depending on her supply/ kiddo’s demand. Then they would like to start trying for #2 almost immediately. Which means that we could potentially have an egg retrieval cycle some time next summer/fall right before they start for #2. Luckily it is only 1 month out of her life she has to dedicate to this (setting aside the inconvenience of the injections and dr visits).
The only kink in that is the wait list for a government funded cycle. They are currently booking into November/December 2017. Yes. 2017! Which means transfers are not likely until 2017-2018 depending how successful those are. Not exactly ideal for timing. There is a small chance the date will get moved up since some people drop out if other less invasive methods work to get them pregnant. But still the difference will be weeks not months.
For now I have asked to put my name on the list to at least get me in line for a funded cycle. The cost difference between a govt funded cycle and a regular one is approx $10,000. All depending on how many embryos manage to make it (the govt will pay for all transfers that come from the funded cycle batch).
I have a follow up scheduled for May 2017. Once my sister stops breast feeding she will be referred to another Dr at the clinic for her own independent medical assessment and we can discuss paid v. funded cycle depending on what her and her husband want and the timing.
I know it is selfish but I wish they would wait until my funding date comes through. That would make it a whole lot easier for me. But I know that it is unreasonable of me to ask them to wait a whole year and a half for their family just so we can have a remote chance at growing ours.
For now it’s a waiting game. And I need to start seriously saving up for next year. It’s going to be a very expensive year.
For now, I am glad to be off the medication though. It will be nice to get back into my routine and shed off some of this hormone weight I have gained.